[Wine] What am I doing wrong?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Mar 12 06:35:50 CDT 2009

> Gee, thanks for the help.  I am not a computer IT person, or whatever
> you call it and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Simply put - if there is a Linux program that does the job, why would
you waste your own time trying to run a similar Windows program under
Wine?

As far as I'm concerned, Wine is the last resort, to be used only if I
can't find a Linux program to do what I want. I wouldn't use it for web
browsers, e-mail, databases or flight simulators (Silent Flight, Flight
Gear and X-plane all have Linux ports) but I do use it to download
traces from my flight recorder because the only program that does that
is a Windows program.

Take a look at the copy of Firefox that's part of your Linux
distribution. I've yet to find a website that it won't open and display
correctly. If you don't like Firefox for some reason, try Opera.

Martin