[Wine] Re: Sending input events to background applications in Win32

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 13 18:57:09 CDT 2009

bhua8122 wrote:
> I want to write a wrapper for the Win32 DLL(s) and reimplement the window management

Good luck! You won't get too far with this effort - some parts of it inside kernel.

bhua8122 wrote:
> The problem I am facing is that Win32 only has one event queue and allows input only to the active window/app.

What do you mean one queue? Each thread can have a message queue. And window doesn't have to be active to have focus. All though it's the case in 99.99% cases (otherwise things break).

Window management is the most convoluted and broken part of windows where most applications depend on one bug or the other. This is where term "bug is a feature" came from. Wine has lots of issues in that area because ... it does not do window management itself. This is what WM (KDE/Gnome) is for. And they don't always follow the brain-damaged M$ logic.