[Wine] Steam game activation problem

jamesr652 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 17 19:55:16 CDT 2009

I'm running Wine 1.0.1 on Ubuntu 8.04.  When I go to activate a game in Steam, it doesn't do anything with the "Activating key with Steam..." progress bar and times out with the Steam error:

Steam server is unavailable

Your computer is either currently unable to reach the Steam servers, or the service may be temporarily disabled.  Please try again later.

It's been like this for every game I own.  Even games I bought through Steam.

A search for this issue didn't come up with anything related.  Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm dual booting with Vista and it works OK on that side.  I'd leave Vista for good if I could play a couple of my games under Linux.  Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into Wine.

-James