[Wine] Getting a proprietary Win32 application running on Wine

RUMI Szabolcs rumi_ml at rtfm.hu
Wed Mar 18 04:36:31 CDT 2009

Hello there!

I'm trying to get a proprietary business application running.
It is basically a kind of a special small business accounting
app which can be used in a distributed manner. If it is configured
this way, the server installation is running an MSSQL server
instance locally to store the data, while a client installation
just uses the remote server installation (apparently directly
connects to the remote MSSQL instance). I'd be very happy if
I could get at least a client installation running under Wine
while running the server installation under a real Windows
environment.

The client software package installs under Wine seamlessly.
When started, it crashes with an exception until I install
Microsoft Database Engine. With MSDE installed the program
does start up but stops immediately with an error dialog
basically saying that it cannot connect to the database.