[Wine] Updating wine with GIT

orlox wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 18 14:43:30 CDT 2009

Hi. Ive used git for some time to download an update wine sources. However, Ive notices a couple of things i dont understand quite much.

My general procedure to download sources and compile is this:

git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git ~/wine-git
cd ~/wine-git
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no --pkgversion=1.1.12

Here I've noticed that I have to manually specify the package version on checkinstall, or else, the installation fails (is there a way to avoid this??)...

On the other hand, to update sources, I use:

cd ~/wine-git
git reset --hard origin
git fetch
git rebase origin

However, I've noticed that if I ommit the last command (git rebase origin) Compilation goes much faster...Is it neccesary to do that?? What does git rebase origin does??

I read this procedure once on appDB, and been following it blindly for some time, but I am annoyed because recompiling the whole sources each time is very time consuming if I include git rebase origin...

Also, something Ive been wanting to know for quite some time now, is how to use GIT to downgrade to previous versions of wine (in case of regression...).

Thanks in advance!