[Wine] Grand prix legends recognize only two joystick axis

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Mar 19 07:27:15 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 13:56 -0500, Xwang wrote:
> Hi,
> I've tried changing the permission by hand, but still the joystick is
> recognized in Grand prix legends like a 2 axis one.

OK, so it looks as if it is apparently finding all the /dev/input/event*
devices you have. After that its looking to see if there are are any
more in the range event10 to event64. I can't tell if it needs all of
these or if its just scanning to see whether there are any more: I don't
know either that stick or the game so I can't tell what else it needs.

As Vitamin says, you need to talk to your stick maker and/or the Grand
Prix Legends authors to find out what else it needs.

Meanwhile, if you want to make those modified event read-write
permissions permanent, try changing the rule in 94-my-custom.rules to
this:

KERNEL=="event*", MODE="0666"

I've tested this on my Fedora 9 system - it works.

I loked more carefully at the udev manpage and discovered that rules
containing a NAME="something" assignment are special because they create
a file in /dev that corresponds to a kernel event. After that all rules
for the same kernel event that contain NAME="anything" are ignored
because the file already exists, which is why the rule in your
94-my-custom.rules file didn't work.

If you find out later that you only need read access to the events,
change MODE="0666" to MODE="0644".

BTW, running "ls -l /dev/input/by-id" and "ls -l /dev/input/by-path" may
show you useful stuff since the items in these directories are all
symlinks to the items in /dev/input.

Martin