[Wine] Problem with winetricks and msxml3, msxml4 and msxml6

j t mark473 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 10:35:46 CDT 2009

Hi all.

I'm a bit of a newbie with wine, so please excuse me if I've messed up
somewhere. I'm trying to install msxml3 installed, so I've tried using
winetricks thus:

sh winetricks -v msxml3

This gives:
+ echo Executing wine msiexec /i /home/nonroot/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi
Executing wine msiexec /i /home/nonroot/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi
+ wine msiexec /i /home/nonroot/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi
+ status=103
+ test 103 -ne 0
+ die 'Note: command '\''wine msiexec /i
/home/nonroot/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi'\'' returned status 103.
Aborting.'
+ echo 'Note: command '\''wine msiexec /i
/home/nonroot/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi'\'' returned status 103.
Aborting.'

I can see the important bit is:
wine msiexec /i /home/nonroot/.winetrickscache/msxml3.msi
and if I run this line manually, I get the same error: a pop-up dialog
box containing the words: "Incorrect command line parameters."

If, however, I copy msxml3.msi to .wine/drive_c/ and then I try:
wine msiexec /i c:\\msxml3.msi
then it installs perfectly.

This same problem also appears to affect msxml4 and msxml6 in a similar way.

I have a few questions:
a) Are my results caused by some anomaly with my os (a freshly
installed debian lenny with gnome desktop), or is it a bug?
b) Should I log a bug against winetricks?
c) What's the best way for me to proceed?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer. Jaime :-)