[Wine] Why isn't patch code written into releases??

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Thu Mar 26 09:42:43 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 07:29:35AM -0500, Das Letzte Einhorn wrote:
> Well, my guess is that they want some uniformity in the way the patches are written. Otherwise everybody could just write a patch and send it, and tracking progress / regressions would be much more difficult. It makes sense to me to request such criteria prior to acceptation.

Actually a closer look would tell you that it is most likely the wrong
place to change the behaviour. The correct location appears to be
dlls/winex11.drv/ime.c -> ImeSetCompositionString

Also the ImeInquire contains the following code:
 577     /* Tell App we cannot accept ImeSetCompositionString calls */
 578     lpIMEInfo->fdwSCSCaps = 0;

Which to my untrained eyes means that wine doesn't fully support the
functionality required by FFIX, or that FFIX is assuming certain
functionality is present and is not checking for it, the end result
being that it goes into a loop trying to call something and not getting
the expected result.

The correct fix would most likely be to finish the implementation, and I
don't understand enough of x11 and ImeSetCompositionString to tell you
if that is even possible with the current x11 capabilites.

All of this suggests to me that said patch that the user wants, is
really something that hides the real bug rather than fixing the problem.
Hence as mentioned before, it's considered a hack since it doesn't
really fix the issue, it just hides it for a particular game. Adding
suck hacks into place will only result in breakage for other apps.

As mentioned above, my understanding of what's going on in the code is
limited, so take the above details with an appropriately sized pinch of
salt.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."