[Wine] Re: Limiting memory for MM9

jeffz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 26 17:08:50 CDT 2009

Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Might & Magic IX had even problems on my old Win98SE, except if i were
> running special Nvidia drivers. So i wasn't surprised that i had similar
> problems on wine.
>
> Now, with nvidia-drivers 180.42, i have made a new try on wine 1.1.17
> and it seems to run fine. But there is a problem.
>
> Switching from the game to e.g. inventory using the key i takes a very
> long time, about 50 seconds. Because this has to be done often this is
> quite annoying.
>
> The reason for this long time might be, that mm9 thinks, that there is
> not enough memory. Look at this screenshot from the setup.
>
> http://www.triffids.de/pub/screenshot/setup.jpg (73 KB)
>
> mm9 wants at least 64KB und finds only 2 GB. *g*
>
> So, is there a way, wine can fake a reasonable amount of memory seen by mm9?
>
> Hartmut

I think you have misdiagnosed the problem, the issue you see in the setup is most likely unrelated.  There is no reason to assume nvidia is the problem either.

If the inventory delay is also accompanied by high cpu, you should use oprofile to see where the time is being spent to find out what the real cause of the problem is.   Compile wine with debugging symbols and check the oprofile website for examples.