[Wine] Re: Fedora Updates Hosed Wine

edgar_rice wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 27 09:24:50 CDT 2009

vtx: I don't know how you managed to re-install the NVidia driver without killing X, whatever it was probably wasn't good enough.

I hate to speculate on this, because my speculations are often wrong, but I suspect that something about the fedora update messed with part of the x.org configuration (since an x.org driver was part of the update), and that was enough to cause trouble. Re-installing the NVidia driver probably restores whatever got clobbered.

I use the binary nVidia driver, and to install it the x server can't be running. Ctrl-Alt-F2 is not dead enough, you need to boot to runlevel 3.

Of course, you need the binary driver if you don't have it. Get it from the nVidia site.

I have my grub.conf set to expose the grub menu (comment out the "hiddenmenu" option), and I give it 10 seconds or so for the timeout so that I have time to push buttons.

On the reboot, hit the 'a' key, which allows you to append (to the default kernel) boot options. Add " 3" (without quotes), which will boot you to runlevel 3, which is the non-graphical console. Log in as root and "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run". Respond to the various prompts. It will compile the interface to the binary and fix your configuration. Then simply reboot, which will go to runlevel 5 (normal).

This fixed it for me. I think you are in some strange state of partially fixed configuration.