[Wine] Serial port stopped working under wine!

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Mar 28 14:47:25 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 12:25 -0500, sv1cdn wrote:
> Martin, thank you once more!
> I made a backup of the configuration, understanding your suggestions.
>
> Weird thing is that when I changed the group to dialup, made a reboot
> and then ls -la ttyS* at /dev I can see all ttyS* in group root.

That's expected - root can see everything..

As a general point, if you manually change anything in /etc its a good
idea to back it up the same way. Obvious candidates are the
configuration files for services like Samba, Postfix, Spamassassin and
ntpd. Also anything you change
in /etc/rc.d/init.d, /etc/profile.d, /etc/hosts or /etc/cron.*

The big difference from Windows is that you can make these changes
easily with a text editor instead of having to make non-obvious changes
to a registry. You also get to keep the files so you can copy them to
another computer or put them back after a doing a clean install of a
later Linux distro.

This isn't stuff you'd want to do immediately, but as you get to know
Linux you may find there are things you want to do with it, such as
running your own mail server, an internal web site or Samba (which makes
Linux become a Windows file and print server). All these  are useful
things to do if you have several people using computers on your home
network.

> Wine still works fine, so maybe I will just let it be...

Good news.

Martin