[Wine] Re: Small Issue: Centering Application Ubuntu 8.10

czerro wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 28 23:18:19 CDT 2009

Well, that occured to me, but...

I am running linux (again ubuntu 8.10 currently) on a lenovo s10 netbook.  Most of its hardware is integrated intel and integrated oem-only hardware.  I've wrestled with a lot of distributions getting everything working correctly, but oddly some of the distributions like Fedora 10 and Ubuntu 8.10 apparently do not use xorg.conf.  I'm guessing whatever intel drivers  these particular distributions are using has usurped xorg.conf's control, but I have no idea where this configuration file is and I would be wary of messing with it.  This is my scantly configured xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Obviously a lot of information is missing.  Infact looking at my xorg.conf I would think x11 wouldn't work.  Yet I run gnome with compiz with no issues...

Since I have puzzled over this issue for a while with many distributions with no solution, it doesn't seem like a viable way to tackle the problem.  Secondly as far as I can tell, there are no other supported resolutions for the netbook LCD outside of 1024x600.   Forcing them through xorg.conf in distros that actually use xorg.conf simply breaks the windows manager (opensuse 11.1).  Fedora 10 will display wine programs running in fullscreen mode of a resolution that is smaller than the desktop centered in the screen (geez is there an easier way to say that?).

There really isn't a wine parameter to control the render position of the app in reference to the desktop?