[Wine] Re: Ghost32.exe

iveand wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 31 01:12:25 CDT 2009

In my work we support several computers including 3 small networks all in separate locations, running Win2003 Server in each as Domain Controllers.  A lot of software has been built by others to do advanced linguistic work in these locations, all Windows.  All users are new to computers and it has been established in the Windoze world.

So, I am not able to "cut and run" into another alternative, even if I could get Wine to run all the custom software (I will be looking at this over the next few years as permitted).  We have several Ghost images for each type of hardware device we have.  CD drives die early here as it is NE Africa and is very dusty and hot.

So, I want something to boot from that can in turn install an image without depending on a CD.  I have Ubuntu ("LiveCD" so doesn't have permissions set) on a UFD, and have Wine there.  If I could get Ghost to run, the I have access to all the images we have already made.  I have a colleague well versed in Ghost so I don't want to push him out of the picture.

That is the short story.  Yes there are alternatives (I am seeing PING, Clonezilla, FOGProject), but we have the licenses for Ghost, it works for us, and it would be nice to not "paradigm shift" right now.  Currently what I do is have a spare machine, pull a HDD from the one needing help, use a BYTECC to plug in the bad HDD, and reimage that way.  Would be GREAT to save some steps and work on the "bad machine" in situo.

Still testing to see if I can get Ghost32 to recognize the physical drives.  May have to give up on Linux / Wine and go with BartPE or WinPE.

For my own personal use I agree there are native options for OSX, Ubuntu that I would much rather use than Ghost via Wine.

iveand