[Wine] Tax Preparation with WINE

Evil Jay wine at eternaldusk.com
Tue Mar 31 06:57:30 CDT 2009

Chard wrote:
> "You're nervous about charging something online and here you are putting all your tax information online on somebody else's Web site.

You mean like you do when you e-file?  Unless you do everything by mail,
you're doing that anyway.

Compromise of electronic systems/transfers is hardly a drop in the
bucket in the 10 million or so other identity thefts each year... the
majority of which occur via stolen mail.

When it comes to electronic theft of your income tax data, it's much
more likely to occur via loss of backup tapes or hard drives at the
agencies, *after* they've put your paper info into their system.

I did some research, but I've found no occurrences of anyone's
information being stolen while using any of these web-based tax systems,
so they actually seem as safe as using local software and e-filing...
and more safe than using local software and mailing the forms.

-J