[Wine] Re: IPX and AMD64 not mixing?

Sephiroth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 31 12:22:10 CDT 2009

It's used for more than gaming, but yeah I have a ton of games that use IPX and I am sure other people do as well.  IPX is also lower-latency than TCP or UDP, but it only works on a LAN.  I have often considered using IPX only on my LAN and using a Linux server between my DSL modem and LAN to convert the IPX data to TCP data and send it on its way, but never got around to implementing it.  That'd make hacking my network rather difficult!

You are right about only root dealing with mounting, but my normal users can mount, unmount, read, and write NTFS drives both internal and external, as well as optical and flash media.  They can also share files in their home directories using KDE.  Not allowing IPX the same privilege and not having an easy way to do so is just bad design.