[Wine] Chessmaster GM Edition

RealNC wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 4 13:21:24 CDT 2009

Hello.

(I hope this won't show up twice. I tried posting to the mailing list first (GMane), but even though I confirmed that I exist, it's not posting anything. Other lists on GMane work fine. Then I've read on the Wine site that the Usenet group comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine is linked to the list, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all. So I'm posting in the forum now.)

I'm trying to install "Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition" in Wine 1.1.20.  I've seen these screenshots:

  http://appdb.winehq.org/screenshots.php?iAppId=6308

and I assumed it would kinda work.  But it doesn't.  I unchecked the "Install DirectX 9.0c" checkbox during the installation.  The intro video plays fine and sound works too, but all I get as an image is a black window with some very few random pixels:

  http://i41.tinypic.com/10epv9l.png

Note that I've used the latest winetricks to do:

  winetricks d3dx9

or else the game wouldn't start at all.

I'm on Gentoo 64-bit, kernel 2.6.28.9 and an ATI HD4870 with ATI Catalyst 9.4 drivers (supports OpenGL 3.0).

The Wine log while running it is this:

  http://pastebin.ca/1412330