[Wine] Re: Games run, but i can always see desktop

gamblor01 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 4 15:30:25 CDT 2009

Are you running with compiz turned on or off?  I have to wonder if you change it, would it make any difference?  Go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects.  If it's set to Normal or Extra, try setting it to none and then launching your game.  It may or may not make any difference but it's worth a shot.  I am running Ubuntu 8.10 with wine 1.1.20 and I don't have that problem with any HL2 based games.

I did have this problem at one point when I installed DirectX 9.0c and was trying to launch the games using DX9.  If you have the official DX9 from Microsoft installed, I would suggest you get rid of it.  It seemed to cause me nothing but trouble.  :/