[Wine] RunTime java needed

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue May 5 16:15:50 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 15:45 -0500, coucoucbm wrote:
> austin987 wrote:
> > On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:51 PM, coucoucbm <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I tried to install the windows version of QuickGene software (http://www.crimsonbase.com/download?h=dbcb160) using wine 1.0.1
> > > the installation goes fine, but when I start the application it says:
> > > "This application requires a Java Runtime environment 1.5.0_00"
> > >
> > > Any thought about how to fix this.

The real oddity is that it seems to be a Java application, yet requires
OS-specific support items. You'd probably get better help if you know
why this is and what OS-specific items it needs. Talk to CrimsonBase to
find out what it needs and why.

> it seems like JRE is not installable using wine 1.0.1 (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3054&iTestingId=19281)
> any suggestion?

That doesn't really surprise me. Java applications are OS-agnostic
unless they use OS-specific JNI facilities to access unsupported
hardware or contain code to execute non-Java applications, riu scripts
etc. However the JVM is highly integrated with its target OS, which is
why the application can be WORA (Write Once Run Anywhere).

As I said above, you need to talk to CrimsonBase to find out what the OS
dependencies are and why they are there.

FYI, Java is generally upward compatible. The JRE requirement is
probably better stated as Java 1.5 or later - I'm still running 3rd
party Java 1.4 code in a Java 6 JVM.

HTH

Martin