[Wine] Wine and 3D rendering issues

EagleRock wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 11 09:24:23 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I hate to ask n00bish questions, but after several days of forum scouring and searching for answers, I'm at a loss as to where to go next.

I'm a long-time Linux CLI user, but I haven't really played with Wine or many aspects of the GUI-end until recently.  I've been trying to get two of my favorite Windows games to run on my Debian Testing install, and keep coming to the same road block: games in Wine run as if they're being rendered by the CPU, not my graphics cards.

Here's a rundown of my PC:
Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz
4GB 800MHz DDR2
NForce 680i Chipset
2x NVidia 8800GTS 320MB OC GPUs
Creative XFi Titanium Sound Card

OS Info:
Debian Testing with 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel, KDE3.5 and Wine 1.1.18

After fiddling with ALSA and the recently released OSS drivers, I've gotten sound working fine at least to the point that 2.1 sound is working for testing purposes.  I'm trying to install the two games below:

Steam + Counter-Strike:Source
The Lord of the Rings Online

I've gotten both working at least to the point that I can start them both up and get into the game itself, but the games run ridiculously slow, like it doesn't see my graphics cards.  It's not a small difference, either.  Here's a framerate comparison for CS:S:

Windows: 1680x1050 + Full Effects + 4xAA + 16xAF = 80 fps minimum
Wine: 800x600 + Minimum settings = 5-20 fps

I've installed the proper nvidia kernel package (nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-amd64) and installed the current nvidia-glx userspace libraries and all seems to be working fine.  The glxinfo output shows direct rendering is enabled, and Linux-native 3D applications (e.g. Extreme Tux Racer) work great.  Also, glxgears gives a high output at 16,000+ fps, indicating the graphics cards must be working, at least for Linux.

I've actually done a full reinstall of Debian at this point to ensure I did everything right and I was working on a vanilla system.  I've also tried the stable version of Wine and the one in the squeeze repository (1.1.18) to no avail.  However, at this point, everything works on the machine except for the fact that Wine doesn't seem to recognize the graphics card at all.  I've searched high and low for any configurations that I need to perform on Wine itself to enable rendering, but I can't seem to find anything.

Hopefully someone can shed light on the situation...thanks!