[Wine] Re: alsa not available in winecfg under karmic?

3vi1 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 11 13:09:16 CDT 2009

Susan Cragin wrote:

> AAAGGGGHHH... Top-poster.

Hehe..  replied to the mailing list from thunderbird and forgot to delete what I was responding to.  :P

Susan Cragin wrote:

> Could you download Audacity and try to record something using alsa with pulseaudio disabled in some way? Record for 10 seconds, stop recording, and start it up again and see if that works for you?

Sure thing...  In fact, I did this yesterday while I was playing with Kdenlive.  I recorded some audio clips with Audacity to dub, and it worked fine (as does my mic in CounterStrike Source).  I, as a wine user, of course have long removed pulseaudio from my system (It also screws up half the native Linux games I've ever tried under it, so good riddance to it).

My system's using the HDA-Intel drivers, by the way.  Karmic actually seemed to get rid of a bug I was having with them, where under Jaunty I always had to toggle my microphone input source away/to the mic before it would work.

Sorry to hear about your system issues... You might want to back up your /home and /etc and try a clean install when a1 hits on the 14th.  Good luck!