[Wine] Football Manager Live with Wine

Jeromek wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed May 13 12:01:09 CDT 2009

Hi !

First of all I have to advise you that I don't speak english as well as I whish. So, be lenient.

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop one month ago. I didn't make any changes, I used it with default settings. I managed to install Football Manager Live (FML) and it worked perfectly ! I installed wine (by apt-get - didn't make any changes either) and then ran the setup.exe from the official site.

One week ago, I downloaded and installed on my laptop Windows 7 RC. FML worked perfectly too on this operating system but I realized that Windows 7 is a monster. Louder than Vista...
So, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu 9.04 ! Once again, I didn't make any changes and try to install FML exactly the same way. But this time, it doesn't work at all and I didn't manage to understand why ! I have an error message "Unable to connect to the Football Manager Live auto download server. Please check your internet connection".

I read a lot to understand where the problem could be from.
I installed firefox.exe and installed it with wine to check if wine was unable to connect to internet. But I was able to surf on the net from firefox using wine.
I disabled the firewall (iptables -F). Doesn't work.
I downloaded winetricks and installed all (dotnet, directx, ...). Doesn't work.
I read somewhere that it could be a problem of port forwarding but I don't think that's my problem. I tried in two different place (at home/at work). And it worked at home one week ago ! I haven't change my router setting since then.
I also tried to install older version of wine. Same result.. Doesn't work.

So.. I'm really running out of options !
If anyone have an idea that could help.. Please, tell me.