[Wine] Re: Portable applications list needed

gamblor01 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 18 23:35:35 CDT 2009

> Howdy,
>
> For those of you that don't know, I've got a Google Summer of Code
> project to make a better test suite for wine. The goal is to test
> graphical applications to find bugs that aren't tested by the test
> suite, and to prevent regressions that aren't prevented by it.

That sounds like an excellent idea!  Are you going to count .msi files as part of the "self-executable" process?  Also, what if you just create an icon whose command is to call a script, or call an unzipper, etc. and then invoke the .exe file for you?  Then you could just record yourself clicking on that shortcut (this may have already been suggested in the links above -- I didn't check).

If .msi files are legit I would suggest Steam.  You can get the installer for free (though you need an account to actually login and test it so maybe it's not the best idea).  It's a pretty popular application and certainly the reason why I run Wine.  ;)

I would suggest looking at the most popular applications on the appdb, but many of them are games and therefore do not have any freely available installers (not legitimately anyway).

The only other possibility I can think of are things like compilers.  For example, you could download the Java SDK (or just the JRE) from java.sun.com as an exe and run that.  Also, you mentioned not wanting to use 7-zip on a file first...but what about using the 7-zip installer itself as a test case?

I'm out of ideas at the moment but hopefully that will inspire something.

Keep up the great work.  Wine has progressed immensely since I first tried it out years ago.  Hopefully projects such as this will keep it progressing for many years to come.