[Wine] Hamachi annoyances

Jan-Matthias Braun jan_braun at gmx.net
Tue May 19 09:36:54 CDT 2009

Hi,

On Tuesday 19. May 2009 13:20:30 thorin wrote:
> Got a very frustrating problem here, I've been trying to use hamachi to
> play a few games over it's virtual lan connection. With all the games in
> question, be they native or run via wine, they all seem to not be able to
> pick up on the hamachi network.
>
> My /etc/hosts file has the following entries.
> 5.86.189.163 sirbubbles-desktop
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 sirbubbles-desktop
>
> I had /etc/network/interfaces set up with the ham0 network interface, but
> since it didn't seem to be working, I thought I might have mucked it up,
> and deleted it. The games that I've been trying to run are Warcraft 3 with
> a special version of wine that's been patched for networking and
> battle.net, and works over my local network, as well as Red alert 2 with a
> udp patch to allow lan games.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 with a lan connection to my adsl router, if that
> makes any difference. The router also supports wireless, but I'm using lan
> for my pc.
>
> Also, this all works fine under windows, on my end and on my friend's end.
> And I have no software firewall installed, and hamachi as well as the games
> have all their respective ports forwarded.
>
> Thanks for your help.

if I recall correctly the games are sending broadcasts to the network to
discover and announce network games. Add a special route for these packets to
the hamachi interface to get the games to see each other. Something like
	route add 255.255.255.255 dev ham0
should do the trick.

Hope that helps,
	Jan-Matthias