[Wine] [SUGGESTION] WINE, autodisable/ask to disable PulseAudio

PleegWat pleegwat at telfort.nl
Sun May 24 06:05:56 CDT 2009

rautamiekka wrote:
> Since PulseAudio causes much trouble alot, why not make WINE to either
> 1) autodisable
> 2) ask to disablePulseAudio when running something ?
>

> By my understanding if this would be implemented, either of the following is done:
> 1) When executing wine theprogramname.exe it first calls to WINE, which then query the system for PA. Then if PA is found, WINE adds padsp to the commandline and continues executing theprogramname.exe(how this technically is done, I'd make WINE to store the wine theprogramname.exe to a string variable, then combine padsp and wine theprogramname.exe string variables into one. Then WINE executes the string variable's content as command)2) When WINE is being installed, the installer query the system for PA. Then if PA is found, the installer adds padsp to each wine theprogramname.exe to make it look like padsp wine theprogramname.exe
>
> Personally I'd prefer the second approach cuz it sounds less resource-hungry.

You can do this yourself, by creating a script to override the default
'wine' command.

1) In your home directory, create a directory called 'bin' (may already
exist)
2) In that directory, create a file (script) called 'wine', and make it
executable
3) Give that file the following contents:

   #!/bin/sh
   padsp /usr/local/bin/wine "$@"

Now, whenever the 'wine' command is run, your version is used instead of
the standard 'wine' command. To verify your version is being used, enter
'type wine' on the command line.

PleegWat