[Wine] Re: Port WineHQ to a different OS and different hardware...

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 24 23:47:18 CDT 2009

Ok I am going to explain what need doing.  It not that wine cannot be ported its going to be hell.  There have been proto ports of wine to windows.  Really cannot be much worse.

Since its PPC the first thing you need working is http://www.nongnu.org/qemu/  In particular this bit http://www.nongnu.org/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC68  this allows wrong process type binaries to work without emulation of process.  Darwine on PPC depends on this so does running wine on linux on arm processes

Next thing is a posix emulation code on the Amiga0S.  Because wine internals expect posix or lots of recoding.

Next thing is all the different things wine depends on like samba to provide particular sections of windows networking support.   There will be a long list of dependency checking.

If you want it quickly running a Linux inside a emulator is the fastest solution.  If you want it well its going to take lots of man hours.   Wine is currently supporting 5 platforms.  Mac OS, Linux, Solarias, BSD and selected segment on windows.  Kinda spreed a little thin.

Lot of work if someone wants todo it the developers here will not stand in way.  Major coding help from them forget it don't have the time.

So if you can create a team of developers who want to do it you are in business.

Winehq is Wine Headquarters ie the name of the site development branch that would port quite well to amiga without much effort.   I corrected that because I expect what you want is the project called wine.