[Wine] DarWine & OpenGL

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed May 27 22:25:58 CDT 2009

ryan woodsmall wrote:

> On May 27, 2009, at 2:56 AM, pinchies wrote:
>
>> *reposting my current unsolved problems:
>>
>> I think that there is a bug in Xquartz or winehelper somewhere, as
>> with the latest build 2.3.3.2 sometimes the $Display variable changes
>> randomly, resulting in wine complaining of errors that it cant find
>> the screen. Wine used to crash occasionally, but it would never give
>> this error, and would normally reconnect back to X11 easily.
>>
>> "Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
>> Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set
>> correctly."
>>
>> I can bypass this error by using "$ var" and putting the $display
>> manually into winehelper.
Don't do this.  This causes all sorts of problems as the display will
change, for security, on Leopard whenever X is restarted.

The problem appears to be that you are starting the program outside of
its directory.  You stated that you are using the Winehelper application
to start your programs or are you using terminal and starting them from it?

> Regarding the other error: roll your own, compile Wine from source and
> circumvent the Darwine setup.
Depends.  I do use Winehelper and I have several problems, but they are
not related to the use of this program  as the programs also do not run
from terminal.  I'm working on them to see what is wrong, but I suspect
one program still has Win16 code somewhere and that will cause all sorts
of problems, including the inability to run on a 64 bit system with Vista.

> Not nearly as nice (no winehelper.app), but you'll get more help from
> the forums.

Hmm.  I'm still here, and I help.  However, Winehelper is a dead product
(at least as far as I can tell) and Mike is working on a replacement due
to his furstration with it.