[Wine] Suggestion to improve Wine

Oli Warner oli at thepcspy.com
Mon Nov 2 07:20:24 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM, DaVince <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> It seems really pushy to put a donate button inside the software. I'm sure
> that most major donators would do so from the site, anyway, plus there's
> CodeWeavers which is basically just a company with paid employees devoted to
> improving Wine.

I agree that putting donate buttons inside the app makes it look a little
trashy (like 90s shareware) but I've another idea.

Perhaps users could set bounties on bugs, whereby they agree to pay x amount
if a certain bug is fixed in a timely manor. Once fixed the money is taken
from the bounty setter(s - there could be more than one person willing to
pay for a fix) and given to the project and/or the developer(s) responsible
for getting the patches in.

This could have adverse effects on certain aspects of the project but it
would encourage developers to focus on things people want enough to pay for
and give them something back for their spent time.