[Wine] Network Share mounted but still unavailable

mark-e-mark wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Nov 2 16:14:59 CST 2009

Hello.  I have searched and tested extensively for this but find I am forced to ask for help.  I am a linux novice but am very competent in Windows.

Environment:
Ubuntu 9.10/Wine 1.1 on a 64-bit client laptop.  WinXP server hosting shares in home wireless network.

The client samba mounts server\share location with no problem.  I am able to browse the server share on File Browser in Ubuntu.  Wine Configurator: drives tab does not find share.  Notepad application runs under Wine but the FileOpen Dialog sees only local DosDevices, not the network.

I use an application to rip CDs locally, convert them, and put them on the share for play later.  The application (EAC) runs under Wine, but can only create files locally.

As a linux noob, I do not know how to manually create a shortcut in the .wine subfolder, and I do not know if that approach is even applicable in linux.

Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.