[Wine] Lag everytime

James E. Lang jim at lang.hm
Mon Nov 2 21:21:47 CST 2009

--On Monday, November 02, 2009 05:07:23 PM -0600 warkering
<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm a new user of the Ubuntu 9.10, and I'm having problem with the programs I
> start.  I installed it with the method on the website, and also installed the
> Wine Microsoft Compatibility Layer, on the Add/Remove program of Ubuntu. All
> work fines, except there is terrible lags each time I start a program. I want
> to start Notepad, installed by default, all work fine, but before, I have to
> wait 1 minute before he open up. Also, the mouse lag every 1-2 seconds, so
> it's impossible to work during that time.
>
> Does there is a solution?
> Sorry for my English!
>
> Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Official Release, In French Canada

What version of Wine are you running. To find out simply open a terminal
application and type:

 wine --version

I am running wine 1.1.19 on Kubuntu 9.10 and do not experience the problems you
describe. The Windows applications I use by means of Wine are Pegasus Mail,
e-Sword, and NoteTab. I have also used NotePad which is built into the Wine
file system. Each of the purely Windows applications has a small glitch but all
of them are eminently usable. I could not say that if I experienced the lag
times you describe and I doubt that your problem is related to your computer
hardware as you would not single out Wine if the hardware were simply too slow.

--
Jim