[Wine] changing wine localization

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Nov 8 05:17:51 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 02:13 -0600, orduek wrote:
> hi,
> I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and Wine 1.1.31
> I installed Office2007 but when I load it the Hebrew is written in reverse.
> the only way to fix it is by opening with the command LANG=he.IL.UTF-8 wine ....
>
> How can I tell wine to use LANG=he.IL.UTF-8 every time he opens something?

Use a small shell script to launch Office. Lets call it msoffice. It
needs to contain three lines:

================== msoffice start ===========================
#!/bin/bash
export LANG=he.IL.UTF-8
wine ....  # This is a copy of the command in the launch icon
================== msoffice end   ===========================

The following assumes you've made a directory called 'bin' in your login
directory and put the wrapper script in it. This is the normal place to
put scripts and programs that will only be run by that user.

Make the script executable:                     chmod u+x bin/msoffice

Replace the command in the launch icon with:    ~/bin/msoffice

That's it. Using a small shell script in this way is a convenient way of
running any program that needs the environment to be set specifically
for it. The LANG environment set by the export command is available to
any program run by the script. It won't affect anything you do after the
script ends or in parallel with it.

Martin