[Wine] Supreme Lag

A. Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:33:19 CST 2009

pikzilla,

As a fellow developer, I take special interest in your question.

Despite what you've heard, 3D and some 2D games are notoriously slower in
Wine.  The OpenGL-based games seem to do pretty good (Quake3 demo, Half-Life
1), but the DirectX based games (Half-Life2, TFC2) seem to have performance
AND compatibility issues, even with the fastest computers and the best video
cards.

The exe's that I've seen run faster are usually desktop applications such as
Lotus Notes, but I've still had the same performance issues with desktop
applications such as Reaper that make extensive use of the sound card.

Is there a chance you -- as a developer -- can try to build a native linux
version of your games?  I actually get a better performance with games like
"YoFrankie!" in linux than I do in windows, but the game was specifically
compiled to run in linux.

If not, you may be able to find pointers from companies such as "Reaper"
that have gone out of their way to tweak compatibility with wine for the
Linux community, or the wine developers mailing list may have programming
pointers.  Good luck.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com