[Wine] Re: Jedi Academy error with 1.1.32

superlgn wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 8 11:44:11 CST 2009

I get the RegisterHotKey thing too, but no page fault after, it runs fine for me and has for years.

When I installed the game 5+ years ago, I used the old loki installer from liflg.org (http://www.liflg.org/), but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The installer doesn't exist (on that site) anymore, instead they say to just install it normally with wine. I tried clearing out my ~/.wine to see if the loki installer would have done something special to the registry to make it work, but the game ran fine regardless. I think the loki installer may have included a modified .exe without a cd check, but I can't be sure now. Maybe it's something in your ~/.wine directory that's causing problems? I imagine you have other things in there you'd not want to lose, so you could try to make a new wine dir just for Jedi Academy using the WINEPREFIX variable:

Code:
$ export WINEPREFIX=/usr/local/games/jediacademy
$ wine /cdrom/setup.exe
wine: created the configuration directory '/usr/local/games/jediacademy'
$ cd /usr/local/games/jediacademy/drive_c/...
$ wine jasp.exe

If this works (run it from the same terminal or (re)set the same WINEPREFIX environment variable in another terminal), you could make up a shell script that sets the WINEPREFIX directory and runs the .exe for you.

That's how I install all of my games/series now, so if I screw one up it won't affect everything else.