[Wine] Wine program resource usage question

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Nov 9 04:55:14 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 21:16 -0600, cnbiz850 wrote:

> The question is why a switch of focus between graphics and GUI causes
> such a big resource hog.  What can I do to find out more about what if
> going on or solve the problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First consider what your program is doing internally. Do you know:
- What volume of stock data is your program holding?
- Is that being swapped?
- Does the program have any debugging/tracing facilities you can
  turn on?

If that doesn't help, try the 'top' utility:
- What does it show?
- In particular, which processes are active during the change of focus?
- What does it say about swap space usage?

If none of the above show enough detail to work out what's going on,
install the sysstat package. It should be an extra for your distro if it
isn't already installed. Use it to get more details about what your
program is doing in terms of memory usage, paging, etc.

Martin