[Wine] Re: Newb here.Ubuntu 9.10, ATI Adeon x1270, trying to run Steam.

waynefoutz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Nov 12 06:38:43 CST 2009

Well  thanks  guys. I'm going to try the -dxlevel, next time I get some down time, but I'm not too optimistic.   With my job, the work comes in spurts, and everything  has been busy at the moment. I bought this Dell laptop brand new less than a year ago, and ATI is telling me the video card is too old for them to support. Lesson learned, I'll never buy equipment with ATI in it again. It came with a lousy 120 gig hard drive. I was hoping to use Ubuntu as my lone OS, but thanks to  ATI, that's not gonna happen. I got 25 gigs of Vista, so my dual boot options are 1. Buy a bigger hard drive, 2. Install a smaller version of Windows.  I have an old Windows 2000 disk laying here, tried that, nope, couldn't see my SATA drive. Oh well, it would look like crap on a 15 inch LCD monitor anyway. After some searching, I found a program called vLite, which will shrink Vista down by removing services and extras. They claim Vista has two gigs worth of foreign languages in it. One tutorial site from a user claims he shrank Vista down with vLite to enough to fit on a 700 megabyte CD. So, barring miraculous results from the -dxlevel 8 command, I'm going to go this way give windows 40 gigs so I can game, and Ubuntu 80 gigs.