[Wine] access shell from programs run with wine

James E. Lang jim at lang.hm
Thu Nov 12 21:54:34 CST 2009

--On Thursday, November 12, 2009 05:41:54 AM -0600 alimuir
<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running programs in wine that allow you to access  shell commands from
> windows such as mkdir and cd etc... When I am using wine, where is this going
> to go?
>
> In particular, I am doing some ray tracing using OSLO EDU using ccl
> rpogramming. I cannot figure out how to make a new directory to store stuff
> but can (in windows) escape to the shell to use the mkdir as
> "exec_shellcmd("mkdir c:\newdir", 0)". I would like to do this under wine,
> but simply doing this didn't work - any ideas?

I don't think that what I have is exactly what you want but here it is anyway
in case it contains something that is of assistance. I use Pegasus Mail for
some e-mail processing. I wanted it to be able to use Kate (the KDE advanced
text editor) for processing temporary file copies of certain attachments. The
mechanism that it used to specify an external text editor got the Windows style
path to a temporary file mangled when done on Linux via Wine so I created the
following script which works like a charm:

#!/bin/bash

kate $(echo "${1}" | sed \
  -e 's+[cC]:\\+'$HOME'\/\.wine\/drive_c\/+' \

I then specified that it be invoked by means of /home/myuser/scripts/katebridge
with the argument being the Windows style address (including path) of the
temporary file.

--
Jim