[Wine] Installing software from CD - permission errors

farna wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 13 09:59:46 CST 2009

I'm new to Linux and Wine, experimenting with a machine before taking the full plunge.

I have Wine installed and have managed to install one game. The game that I REALLY want to install gives me a permission error. I'm not sure if the error is being generated by the software installer, Wine, or Linux. When I double click on the installerI get a pop-up window that says "You don't have permission to install games from BigFish games on this computer.  Please log in with an administrator account and try again".   Game is a "hidden object" game, requirements are XP/Vista, 800MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, DirectX 7, 167 MB HD space. I have Wine set for XP and to emulate a virtual desktop. I've tried with and without desktop emulation.

I'm running ubuntu based Mint 7 (Gloria).  It has been suggested that running executables from the CD-ROM is locked out, and can't be changed. That makes no sense to me whatsoever, since all software on CD is installed from the CD drive.  I tried copying the CD to a folder on the HD, but that gives the same results.

Suggestions?

Computer is an Athlon 64 1200+, 1GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Radeon 9600 256 MB video card.