[Wine] Mac advice

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 18 09:20:48 CST 2009

lucertola wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm using Mac OS X (10.5.8) and want to us Wine. I know that there are no Wine packages available for Macs, so I was
>wondering what the easiest solution would be.

There are three things you can do to run Wine on your Mac, assuming your Mac has an Intel processor.

1.  Go to MacPorts or Fink and get the installer package and install it.  You will need to install XCode3.1 from the Leopard DVD.
2.  Read through the forums and find the location where doh123 put a pre-built package with instructions on how to use it.
3.  Got to Mike's Massive Mess and download WineBottler.  This is a wrap-around of the Wine product that adds Mac specific funtions.

>Would it be possible/fairly easy to install Linux on a USB flash drive and use that to run Wine?

No.  You would have to install Ubuntu for Mac onto your Mac in order to install and have an operational Linux install.

One caveat:  The Wine product still uses the X11 interface to access Windows programs.  The same is true of Crossover 4 Mac as well.  There was an active project to create a Mac Native interface, but progress has slowed considerably.  I am presently tied up working on adding a function to Wine that supports one of the programs I use on my Windows machine.

>Thanks for any suggestions,

Here are mine.  There may be others that will respond as well.

James McKenzie