[Wine] Explain to me how I do not need root?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 20 08:37:12 CST 2009

Stephen Eilert said:

>On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Skaught <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
>> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17231
>>
>> Says I need root to get this app to run.
>>
>> Everywhere else says root will murderdeathkill your whole family.
>>
>> Can someone explain to me the right way to get this app to run without
>> being a terrorist?
>>
>> The whole point of this computer is to run that app.
>>
>> I installed it normally and it opens but ya, as stated in the link above.
>>  It cannot ping anything.
>>

>> That is because you need to be root in order to craft ICMP packets. That's
>why even the native 'ping' command is setuid root:
>
>ls -la `which ping`
>-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 35600 2009-05-11 18:43 /bin/ping

Ping will run as an ordinary user.  However, any program that needs/requires/desires to access a TCP/UDP port less than 1024, normally has to be run as root.  There are methods to remove this restriction and they can be googled/binged for.  The Applications database is correct in that this, and other, programs have to be run as root.  You just need to be VERY CAREFUL when doing so.  If you 'accidentally' pick up a virus that is designed to wipe your hard drive, as an ordinary user, it may cause some damage.  As root (or any user that is in group id 0), more damage MAY occur.  You can do things like rm -rf * as root that will completely wipe your hard drive clean.  Those are two of the dangers, there are more.  So, you have to be CAREFUL and be aware of the possibilities.  If you are paranoid (and you should be) do an image backup of your system and then try the program.

James McKenzie