[Wine] Re: Problems with Wine and X11

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Nov 20 11:58:56 CST 2009

sonicfan1012 wrote:
> Oh sorry. It is a bit weird. See X11 is blocked on my computer, therefore wine doesn't work. However, i can still access X11's package contents. If I take X11's package contents files and replace them with the package content files of another application, like chess, then Chess would become X11. So, instead of my chess application running chess, it would run X11. Chess, however, unlike X11, isn't blocked. So if I replaced the package contents of Chess with X11, I could run X11.
>
> What I want to know is if there's a way to make Wine use the edited Chess application that actually runs X11 (remember, I replaced the contents folder of Chess with X11's contents folder) instead of the actual X11 application, which is blocked... I apologize if it sounds strange, but please leave a response.

You should probably read the Wikipedia article on what an X server exactly is. Chess doesn't become "the X server" just because it's there, it'd have to actually act as, well, an X server in order to be an X server. In other words, provide a way for the computer to give graphical output and accept special input (this is in very basic terms what an X server does).