[Wine] noob just needing to understand work-around

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Nov 24 15:35:33 CST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 21:09 +0100, James Huk wrote:
> For single run simply follow steps I wrote for you before (well maybe
> with the exception of "download utorrent" ;) ). For more permanent you
> can either create a shortcut (if you are using Gnome, KDE or XFCE as
> your graphical enviroment), or simple run script - and I suggest the
> latter, you will find out soon that there is MUCH more comfortable way
> to run your apps then it was in Windows.
>
> If you prefere the shortcut - tell us what are you using as your
> graphical enviroment.
>
> If you prefer a script then do the following:
>
> 1.Become root (type "su" and you root password)

You don't need to become root: you can do this from your normal login.

> 2.As root type nano /usr/bin/utorrent (if you do not have nano then
> any other text editor will do)

Do this in place of step 2:

cd
mkdir bin
nano .bash_profile

      and add a new line "export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH"
      at the end of the file

     This has set up your own private script library (bin) and
     added it to the shell's search path so it can find and run scripts
     in your private collection.

     If you want them more generally available, put your scripts in
     /usr/local/bin

     *never* add stuff to /usr/bin because that is for use by the
     package installer and can get clobbered by system updates, etc.
     A benefit of using a private library (~/bin) is that its contents
     will get backed up with the rest of your stuff and so should
     survive even a clean OS reinstall.

     Now start namo (or your favourite editor).

nano bin/utorrent

> 3.Now paste one of the following inside the script:
>
> If you don't use separate wineprefix:
>
> WINEDEBUG=-all wine start /Unix /path/to/uTorrent.exe /NOINSTALL
>
> If you use separate wineprefix:
>
> WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/wineprefix WINEDEBUG=-all wine start /Unix
> /path/to/uTorrent.exe /NOINSTALL
>
> 4.Save your file and exit editor
> 5.As root type: chmod +x /usr/bin/utorrent

6. Log out and log in again. This causes the shell to search your new
   library.

> That's it.
>
> Now AS NORMAL USER (NOT ROOT!!). Type in console:
>
> utorrent
>
> and see what happens ;]

Martin