[Wine] Re: Enable central installation with a global system.reg file

maslec00 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Nov 25 08:10:56 CST 2009

Installation in home directories is not practicable to support. Besides the diskspace issue, home directories are on NFS and root does not have default permissions on NFS. Home directories are user data and "privileged users" cannot read/write without explicit permission.

With my test set-up wineuser1 was able to use software installed in wineadm's area. I did have to alter the permissions on one directory to enable saving of user application profiles to wineadm's c: drive.  I set them with similar permissions to /tmp (drwxrwxrwt).  This is not a major issue as it would only need to be done at installation and might be avoidable with install options or customisation by the vendor.

I was thinking that I could write a wrapper script that users would use to start a "central wine".  With the use of wineprefix an independent .centralwine directory would be created in the users home directory.  This would avoid conflict with the users .wine directory.  The script could set certain things in .centralwine before invoking the wine executable. It could ensure that the c: drive was pointing at wineadm's c: and take an up-to-date copy of wineadm's system.reg file. Do you think this is feasible?  Are there other snags that I've not foreseen?