[Wine] noob just needing to understand work-around

James Huk huk256 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 03:19:05 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:55 PM, itilious <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I still can't get the ports to open for utorrent though, i dont know if this is > a linux system issue or a wine issue though :/

First - check if you are using firewall:

In terminal as root type:

iptables -L

If the result will look like this:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

then you are not using firewall (at least not in Linux). If that's the
case then either you probably have router/AccessPoint with certain
ports filtering enabled (ports that uTorrent normally use) - or you
are using distro (and you forgot to tell us - what distro are you
using? Ubuntu, Mandriva something else?) that may use special safety
enhancements like SeLinux - if that's the case you should find out how
to open ports in this apps, I'm not using any of that so I can't help
you.

Now if "iptables -L" shows something else then:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

that means you are using firewall (and you should if you are
connecting to INTERNET directly) - if that's the case all you have to
do is to configure it.

As root, try running "firestarter" (command firestarter) that's a
firewall GUI (one of many). If you get "command not found" then
install it (on Ubuntu and Debian based distros simply type (as root):

apt-get install firestarter

or use "sudo"

sudo apt-get install firestarter

If you get some other error try running firestarter with one of the following:

1.As NORMAL user type:

sudo firestarter
(that worked for me once, while "firestarter" as normal root failed)

2.As NORMAL user:

sudo dbus-launch firestarter

3.As ROOT:

dbus-launch firestarter

One of the following should work and lunch a wizard - simply follow
the steps. When you are done, switch to the "Policy" tab,
and right-click in "Allow service" then:

AddRule->BitTorrent->OK

Then click on the "Apply" button - that will open ports 6881-6889 -
type one of those in utorrent config (if 6881 doesn't work try 6882,
6883 and so on). That should do it.

@DaVince
> I guess so... but have you considered messing with the connection
> settings? I can get up to 1MBps, which is my ISP's max.

I tried to set Deluge (and others) to mimic uTorrent settings but that
didn't help.