[Wine] Re: New to all of this and need help

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Oct 3 19:55:16 CDT 2009

I understand how it can be confusing.

The best way to easily run Wine with a good X11 front end is to buy Crossover...

for free though, there are a number of options, but I'm not sure what to recommend that works good and is easy.  I have a wine based product I'm working on for Mac OS X thats designed to make a full wrapper to port a single Windows app over and make it a normal double click to run OSX app, and my current beta is running really good, though its only partially user friendly (no command line though).  I'm hesitant to talk about it much here... though it uses Wine, its not really something thats the topic for this forum, so we can discuss it in a private message if you choose.

As for how to build Wine on Snow Leopard... I'll tell you here what *should* work for you... this isn't the only way, but it should work, and be relatively easy.

First you need to download and install Xcode tools from Apple... including having it install UNIX and command line based tools (an option while installing).  That will install everything you need to compile code from the command line.

Next, the easiest way to get dependencies is using a program called Macports (macports.org).  They have ready to go ports of many things you'll need.
For Example: one of the libraries you need installed for wine is libjpg ... with macports installed you can type in "sudo port install libjpg" and it will download and compile and install it all for you....

Once you have Macports downloaded and installed and working... you can try using their install of Wine, but I've found its usually better to build Wine manually, and just use Macports for Wine dependencies.

if you try a "./configure" (in the wine source folder), at the end it will tell you things that are missing... and what they will effect (kind of).  These are the things you want to search for and install on Macports...

to get rid of the ./configure OpenGL errors, type these two lines in your same terminal session....

Code:
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/X11/lib"

on a terminal line before you install any dependices, you need to make sure they will compile 32bit for Wine. do this by typing on the line

Code:
export CXXFLAGS="-arch i386 -m32"

once the end of your ./configure shows no more missing libraries that you care about (theres always a few that don't really effect Wine on OSX much) and you want to actually build wine.... type the following commands... in the same terminal session as before... (or the export commands wont be in effect anymore)....

Code:
make depend
make
sudo make install

if it all finishes right, after make install, you should have usable Wine installed... its normal Wine so only usable from the command line.