[Wine] New to all of this and need help

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 3 22:08:54 CDT 2009

doh123 wrote:
> I understand how it can be confusing.
>
> The best way to easily run Wine with a good X11 front end is to buy Crossover...

I agree.  This is the best way, however it is not the ONLY way.

Do what doh123 advised to do, completely.

Things that WILL NOT WORK in Wine:

Any full screen X11 session.  You will have to work within the
restrictions of X11 as provided by Apple.  This is not Wine's fault, but
Apple's.  The XQuartz project is attempting to improve X11 functionality
and there was a project to move Wine from the X11 interface to the Aqua
interface, but it has not moved forward in quite some time (please
review the Developer mailing list archive if you are interested in
helping with this project.)

Please be aware that some programs that work "just fine" on Linux will
NOT work under MacOSX.  This is because of the differences between the
two operating systems.

Lastly, please post difficulties you experience with running programs
here and in the Applications Database feature (this will require a
second login, but they can be the same.)

James McKenzie