[Wine] A doubt about Windows applications?

marcojrfurtado wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Oct 5 18:38:36 CDT 2009

Hello,
I would like to know how does an application know that is being run through Wine? Well, not Wine specifically.

I'll try to explain. There is an application, which is not supported, according to the AppDB. Always when I try to run it, it displays a message "This application cannot run under a virtual machine". It possibly means that the boneheads who made this software don't want it to be run it to be virtualized.

As long as there is no expected support from the developers, I thought there could be a workaround.
I've seen people who use VMWare having the same problem with other programs. They had an idea to set a system variable, and it seemed to be successful in some cases. But that's another "World".
I know that the aim of Wine is different from VMWare, but the case is that the problem I'm facing looks similar.

Any help would be appreciated.