[Wine] Perfect Dark crashes with JP locale, works with US partially

comanoodle wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Oct 9 05:11:58 CDT 2009

I ran out of room in the subject, so:
JP -> ja_JP.UTF-8
US -> en_US.UTF-8

I'm on Fedora 11, using wine-1.1.29. I used to have Fedora 8, with an older version of WINE, and it worked fine, with ja_JP.UTF-8 for locale.

Perfect Dark works fine with the en_US.UTF-8 locale, but it doesn't save files to disk because there are characters with Japanese encoding in the filename. I experienced the same saving issue with uTorrent, but running it as ja_JP.UTF-8 works fine and solved the issue.

When I run Perfect Dark with any Japanese locale, it crashes immediately upon startup, with the crash dialog telling me that if this error has not been reported yet and this problem doesn't exist on Windows, then I should report it to Bugzilla...

BUT! I'm not sure this is a WINE bug - maybe some problem I have with the Japanese locale? Firefox doesn't show all Japanese characters (a good amount of kanji shows up as blocks), so I thought that perhaps the locale was incomplete?

Or something. I'm just guessing and with no real experience it's not possible to make an accurate guess - so, can you guys help me out figure out whether this is a localized issue, or a regression?

Perhaps of note is that upon closing the winedbg dialog, winedbg also crashes, resulting in an endless loop of winedbg windows - unless I kill one of them manually.

Thanks for any responses!