[Wine] Editing root files with text editor

Gert van den Berg gert at mohag.net
Mon Oct 12 12:12:26 CDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:10, Pavel Troller <patrol at sinus.cz> wrote:
>  However, if you are using Linux regularly, I strongly encourage you to learn any of the Linux text editors and use it instead of the windows ones.

KATE is a quite advanced GUI editor that should be able to everything
that Notepad++ does... (And it is possible to run KATE under Windows
as well...) (I'm more a Vim / Notepad2 / KWrite fan than Notepad++)

See: http://kate-editor.org/ and as your distro's forum for help
installing it...

You should be able to run Wine as root if you changed to it properly.
("su -", not sudo / su) ("sux -" / manual DISPLAY / xauth tweaking
might be needed under some distributions for X to work...) Windows
text editors are likely to break unix line endings though...

Gert