[Wine] Invisible text in cmd

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Oct 13 14:17:33 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 20:30 +0200, Gert van den Berg wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 13:01, djch <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> > I'm new to wine (1.1.29), and I want to run borland C 4.5 to build a DOS app.
> >
> Wine's DOS support is not very good... Dosbox might work better....
> (Assuming that Borland C is a DOS program...)

Borland C 3.x used a DOS IDE but Borland C 4.5 uses a Windows IDE.
However, thats just the IDE. AFAIK its version of make and the compiler,
linker, library builder, etc are all DOS programs.

Borland C 4.5 is pretty old, though: I have a copy of 4.52 installed on
a Win 95 box. It can also cause portability problems since its non POSIX
and has the usual horrid collection of DOS-specific library functions.

The OP might also like to look at more modern C compilers, especially
the free Open Source ones based on the GNU C compiler:

- DJGPP - see http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
  I've used this. It works well and is source and library compatible
  with the gcc compiler used for Linux. Its much better than Borland C
  ever was at catching address errors before they trash Windows.
  I know nothing about running it under WINE: there is nothing in
  appDB about it.

- mingw - see http://www.mingw.org/
  I've not used this though it has a good reputation.
  I know nothing about running it under WINE but appDB says it works
  and so do its usual support utilities. There are a couple of IDEs
  for it that ran under WINE 0.9.

  You can also build mingw as a cross compiler. This runs natively in
  Linux to generate DOS/Windows executables. This could be the way to
  go: the project could be developed and tested as a Linux executable
  before being cross-compiled for final testing under WINE.

Martin