[Wine] Invisible text in cmd

Paul Romanyszyn pgr at arcelectronicsinc.com
Tue Oct 13 15:33:37 CDT 2009

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 20:30 +0200, Gert van den Berg wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 13:01, djch <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>>> I'm new to wine (1.1.29), and I want to run borland C 4.5 to build a DOS app.
>>>
>> Wine's DOS support is not very good... Dosbox might work better....
>> (Assuming that Borland C is a DOS program...)
>>
> Borland C 3.x used a DOS IDE but Borland C 4.5 uses a Windows IDE.
> However, thats just the IDE. AFAIK its version of make and the compiler,
> linker, library builder, etc are all DOS programs.
>
> Borland C 4.5 is pretty old, though: I have a copy of 4.52 installed on
> a Win 95 box. It can also cause portability problems since its non POSIX
> and has the usual horrid collection of DOS-specific library functions.
>
> The OP might also like to look at more modern C compilers, especially
> the free Open Source ones based on the GNU C compiler:
>
> - DJGPP - see http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
>   I've used this. It works well and is source and library compatible
>   with the gcc compiler used for Linux. Its much better than Borland C
>   ever was at catching address errors before they trash Windows.
>   I know nothing about running it under WINE: there is nothing in
>   appDB about it.
>
> - mingw - see http://www.mingw.org/
>   I've not used this though it has a good reputation.
>   I know nothing about running it under WINE but appDB says it works
>   and so do its usual support utilities. There are a couple of IDEs
>   for it that ran under WINE 0.9.
>
>   You can also build mingw as a cross compiler. This runs natively in
>   Linux to generate DOS/Windows executables. This could be the way to
>   go: the project could be developed and tested as a Linux executable
>   before being cross-compiled for final testing under WINE.
>

> Martin

I have been using borland C++4.5 to cross compile embedded system with
                 wine for several year. I did a git fetch last night and
recompiled and just tested and it still is working.

I just start with
WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.winebcw wine cmd
or
WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.winebcw/ wine wineconsole cmd

Then in the console c: run my autoexec.bat to set the paths.
Then bcw myprj.ide
A few mouse clicks and I and a new exe.

Note I do get a wrong font message displayed when starting with
wineconsole and this is an old prefix with plenty of windows fonts added.

Paul