[Wine] Re: Requirements for running Wine on Fedora 11

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Oct 15 22:16:15 CDT 2009

srednausab wrote:
> Does Wine require X11 (/usr/bin/X) server to be running?

For 99.9% programs - yes.

srednausab wrote:
> Is it possible to start Wine so that it does not need to have an X display set up?

Only in 0.1% cases - of pure small console app. However you'll have to remove some parts of Wine, which will break pretty much everything.

Much better solution is to start virtual X server and run your app from there.

srednausab wrote:
> I have a Windows program for monitoring data which I'd like to start at bootup.

You can't run Wine as daemon. It requires valid user account with pretty wide system access (much bigger then what normal daemons need/restricted to).